Power and Water supplies drinking water and provide wastewater treatment services across the Northern Territory.

Frequently asked questions

Power and Water provides water supply services to 18 major and minor urban centres and 72 remote communities across the Northern Territory.

Darwin, Katherine and Pine Creek access surface water sources, such as a Dam or river.  The rest of the Territory uses mainly groundwater supply, such as bores.  Our largest surface water reservoir is Darwin River Dam, supplying over 85 per cent of the region’s needs.

More about the Northern Territory's water supplies

You can find out how we treat your drinking water to meet Australian Drinking Water guidelines

How we treat your drinking water

One of the most common drinking water quality questions we get is why your water may appear orange or brown coming out of the tap. Water discolouration is usually an aesthetic issue rather than a health issue. In all but the most severe cases, the particles you see are harmless, and the risk of illness from consumption is low.

Common drinking water problems

If you are experiencing no water flow or low pressure, first check the tap located on your water meter to ensure it is fully open.  Check to see if there is a leak and check if it is between the meter and your house or the meter and the road.

If you can tell that the problem is related to taps, the hot water service or other water pipes within your property (premises and grounds), you may need to call a Northern Territory licensed plumber to advise you.

You should also check for planned works that may require the temporary shutdown of water supplies in your area.

Power and Water do not maintain stormwater drains or irrigation systems on roads, parks or sporting grounds. Please call your local council or shire office for advice.

Check for planned works

Check for planned works that may require the temporary interruption of sewerage services in your area (these are also advertised in your local paper).

If your toilet is blocked, not flushing properly or you have sewerage or wastewater backing up through your home, you may need to call an NT licensed plumber to advise you if the blockage is within your property or related to the sewer mains.

Your overflow relief gully (ORG) may be blocked. During heavy rain, the ORG ensures any sewage overflows happens outside your house, not in it. The ORG is a small drain covered by a grate next to your house. If it has potplants, tiles or other things sitting on top of it, or water running into it won’t work properly. Your ORG should be kept clear of roof drain pipes, pool backwash pipe connections and paving or landscaping sloping toward it. Take the time to check your ORG and make sure it’s working properly.

Some properties have a manhole leading into the sewerage system. If the manhole cover is damaged or dislodged, heavy rain could flood your local sewer. If you have a damaged or dislodged manhole cover in your yard, call Power and Water and report it.