Power and Water provides water and sewerage services across the Northern Territory, an area of more than 1.3 million square kilometres.

The information below aims to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about water bills and payment options. If you would like any additional information, contact us.

Why is my water bill higher than usual?

There are many reasons your bill may be higher than expected. To help you figure out why, here are some things to consider and check:

  • Check the number of days in the billing period as they can vary and affect the comparison.
  • We may have been late reading the meter due to an emergency or severe weather event or cyclone.
  • Consider the weather conditions as this often affects how much water we use. Has it been hotter and drier (dry season to wet season) than the last billing period?
  • Compare your bill against the same period last year, for example January to April 2021 against January to April 2022. Comparing the same period each year will give you a more accurate comparison.
  • Are you spending more or less time at home compared with the same billing period last year?
  • Does your bill show an amount in arrears? Sometimes you might pay an outstanding amount after we've issued your latest statement.
  • Have you checked the current read on the meter to compare it to what was billed?
  • Have you checked your household pipes and irrigation for leaks?
  • Have you topped up your swimming pool more frequently during the billing period?
  • Have you recently installed an evaporative cooler, or is your existing one faulty?
  • Was your last bill estimated? This bill may be a catch up of the consumption used from the previous period.

You can contact our Customer Service Centre to discuss a water bill that is higher than usual.

We've also put together some simple steps to save water and money.

[ Back to the top ]

Why has my bill been estimated?

We will estimate your water use if our meter readers can't access the water meter on your property and you haven't been able to provide a reading 48 hours after we've left our card requesting it. Some of the reasons we estimate meter reads include locked gates preventing access, a pet making it unsafe to enter, something obstructing the meter or sometimes bad weather.

We may also estimate your use if we suspect the meter is faulty and is no longer accurately recording your water use. If you suspect the meter is faulty report it to us online or via our app. We generally base estimates on the average past usage at the property during the same time of year, allowing for the changes in use between seasons.

Learn more about estimated meter readings

Submit a meter reading online

Report a fault

How do I read my bill?

This diagram will help you understand your Power and Water invoice. For information about the cost of our services please go to our pricing and tariffs page

Why am I being charged for a sewerage service to a vacant block?

This is a government gazetted charge which is applied due to the fact that sewerage pipes run past the property.

Power and Water charge a fixed annual sewerage charge (billed quarterly) that applies to residential properties and vacant blocks where there is infrastructure available to the land. It applies whether the service is connected or not and regardless of the number of sanitary fittings in each residence.

What if I have financial difficulty and can't pay my bill?

It is important to contact us to discuss payment options to avoid disconnection if you can't pay by the due date.

Your Power and Water bills can be paid off in instalments once you enter into an arrangement to make payments if certain criteria is met. To discuss this, contact our Customer Service Centre through any of our contact channels.

Through our Stay Connected program, we aim to assist our residential customers in times of hardship and support you to resume regular payment for services. Learn more about the Stay Connected program.

[ Back to the top ]

I've lost my bill, what should I do?

You can request your bill to be reprinted. You can do this through any of our contact channels.

In order to help us do this, please have your meter number and/or customer identification number, which you can find on a previous bill. If you do not have these details, we may be able to track down your account from your address, name and date of birth.

Who reads my meter and when?

Most water meters are read every three months if you are a residential customer, and monthly if you are a commercial customer. Find out more about your power meter or water meter.

Does Power and Water offer concessions?

We administer Pensioner and Carer concessions for electricity, water and sewerage services on behalf of Territory Families.

See our seniors and concessions page for more information.

Can I receive my bills electronically?

You can receive and pay your bills online via your mobile, tablet or computer. See our e-billing page for more information.

Can I put my water and sewerage bill in someone else's name?

Your water account is in the name of the land title owner.

In the event of a change in ownership, the Land Titles Office will contact us to advise of the updates. If you wish to have someone else handle your accounts, such as a real estate agent, you can authorise them and update your account mailing address to have the bills sent to them directly.

Water and sewerage charges are the responsibility of the landowner and are be transferred with the title of the land. Under Northern Territory legislation, Power and Water charge the landowner for all water and sewerage charges including a fixed daily charge.

[ Back to the top ]

Need to pay our bill

Our payment options make it easy. Just choose the one that's best for you.

If you're here to make an online payment or to change the way you pay, make sure you have a copy of our printed bill or e-bill handy.

You will need your:

  • 17 digit customer reference number listed on the bottom right hand side of our bill
  • customer ID listed on the upper right hand of our bill

You can view our Power and Water bills anytime and anywhere you have email access from your mobile or tablet. It's that easy when you're registered with e-billing.

Login to e-billing Find out more about e-billing

Ways to pay our bill


Add Power and Water Corporation to your online banking BPAY payee list.

You can make one off payments or set up regular payments.

Use Power and Water's biller code 7526 and your 17 digit customer reference number.

Go to the BPAY website to find out more

Direct debit

Set up a direct debit agreement that suits you.

From your bank account you can choose to pay:

  • a regular fixed amount  weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
  • the total bill amount on the due date of your bill.

Set up a direct debit agreement

Pay online

You can make payments at a time that suits you, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Pay our bill on our secure payment page with a Visa or Mastercard.

The maximum credit limit for online payment is $5000.

Pay your bill online

Other ways to pay

Power and Water app

Pay your bill securely on our app with a Visa or Mastercard. The maximum credit limit for online payment is $5000.

Download the free Power and Water app from the Apple or Google Play stores.

Apple App Store Google Play

Over the phone

Pay our bill securely online with a Visa or Mastercard by calling our phone payments line on 1800 644 849, available 24 hours a day.

The maximum credit limit for online payment is $5000.

Pay your bill over the phone

In person at any post office

Take a copy of our bill with you to any Australia Post outlet.

They accept a variety of payment methods including BasicsCard, credit cards, cash and cheque.

Find a Post Office  


Automatically transfer funds from your Centrelink allowance to pay our bill.

Nominate a deduction amount per fortnight and contact Centrelink to pay this amount directly to us. Find out more about this payment option.

Visit the Centrepay website  

Payroll deduction

Northern Territory Government employees can arrange fortnightly payroll deductions.

To do this log into myHR > My money > Pay deductions and follow the prompts.

You will need to enter your consumer number (bottom right side on your bill) and the amount you'd like to deduct.