Power and Water retails electricity to remote communities, Nhulunbuy, Alyangula and Jabiru. People in these locations receive their power bill from Power and Water, or may use a prepayment electricity meter.

If you live in Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek or Alice Springs, your power bill is issued by another retailer, and this information may not be relevant for you. For customers in these areas, you will need to find your power retailer.

Is Power and Water my power retailer?

To confirm whether you are in one of the remote  communities that Power and Water is the power retailer for, check the map below.

View remote customer location map

Frequently asked questions

The information below aims to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about power bills received from Power and Water and your payment options. If you would like any additional information, contact our Customer Service Centre.

How do I read my power bill?

This diagram will help you to understand your Power and Water invoice.

It's important to note that you will only get a power bill from us if you are a remote customer or you are located in Jabiru, Nhulunbuy and Alyangula.

Why is my bill based on estimated use?

We will estimate your power use if our meter readers can't access the power meter on your property and you haven't been able to provide a reading 48 hours after we've left our card requesting it. If you have a PV solar system installed we will only estimate your power use, we will not estimate your PV export.

Some of the reasons we estimate meter reads include locked gates preventing access, a pet making it unsafe to enter, something obstructing the meter or sometimes bad weather.

Learn more about estimated meter readings

Submit a meter reading online

Report a fault

What can I do if I'm having financial difficulty and can't pay my power bill?

It is important to contact us to discuss payment options if you can't pay by the due date. Contacting us may help you avoid having your electricity service disconnected.

Once you have met certain guidelines, your Power and Water bill can be paid off in instalments by entering into a payment arrangement with us. If you need an extension on your account, you can contact us to discuss further.

I've lost my power bill, what should I do?

You can contact us to replace your missing copy. It would help to have meter number and/or customer identification number handy. You can find this on your previous power bill.

Who reads my water and when?

Our meter readers access properties to read the power meter every three months for domestic customers and monthly for commercial customers.

Does Power and Water offer concessions?

We administer Pensioner and Carer concessions for electricity, water and sewerage services on behalf of Territory Families.

See our seniors and concessions page for more information.

Does Power and Water have a customer contact?

Yes, we do. You can read our customer contract here.

Can I receive my bills electronically?

You can receive and pay your bills online via your mobile, tablet or computer. See our e-billing page for more information.

How can I save on my power bill?

See our saving power and money page for some tips.

Payment options

There are many ways to pay your Power and Water power bill, so there's sure to be one that suits your needs. You can see the options listed below.

Some remote customers have prepaid power meters. If that's you, you can purchase credit from your local store or by calling our Customer Service Centre on 1800 245 092.

Need to pay our bill

Our payment options make it easy. Just choose the one that's best for you.

If you're here to make an online payment or to change the way you pay, make sure you have a copy of our printed bill or e-bill handy.

You will need your:

  • 17 digit customer reference number listed on the bottom right hand side of our bill
  • customer ID listed on the upper right hand of our bill

You can view our Power and Water bills anytime and anywhere you have email access from your mobile or tablet. It's that easy when you're registered with e-billing.

Login to e-billing Find out more about e-billing

Ways to pay our bill


Add Power and Water Corporation to your online banking BPAY payee list.

You can make one off payments or set up regular payments.

Use Power and Water's biller code 7526 and your 17 digit customer reference number.

Go to the BPAY website to find out more

Direct debit

Set up a direct debit agreement that suits you.

From your bank account you can choose to pay:

  • a regular fixed amount  weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
  • the total bill amount on the due date of your bill.

Set up a direct debit agreement

Pay online

You can make payments at a time that suits you, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Pay our bill on our secure payment page with a Visa or Mastercard.

The maximum credit limit for online payment is $5000.

Pay your bill online

Other ways to pay

Power and Water app

Pay your bill securely on our app with a Visa or Mastercard. The maximum credit limit for online payment is $5000.

Download the free Power and Water app from the Apple or Google Play stores.

Apple App Store Google Play

Over the phone

Pay our bill securely online with a Visa or Mastercard by calling our phone payments line on 1800 644 849, available 24 hours a day.

The maximum credit limit for online payment is $5000.

Pay your bill over the phone

In person at any post office

Take a copy of our bill with you to any Australia Post outlet.

They accept a variety of payment methods including BasicsCard, credit cards, cash and cheque.

Find a Post Office  


Automatically transfer funds from your Centrelink allowance to pay our bill.

Nominate a deduction amount per fortnight and contact Centrelink to pay this amount directly to us. Find out more about this payment option.

Visit the Centrepay website  

Payroll deduction

Northern Territory Government employees can arrange fortnightly payroll deductions.

To do this log into myHR > My money > Pay deductions and follow the prompts.

You will need to enter your consumer number (bottom right side on your bill) and the amount you'd like to deduct.