Ways to make a claim
Online: Go to powerwater.com.au/claimform and complete the online form.
Email: Send us a completed copy of this form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: Scan completed this form to: (08) 8923 9546.
Post: Mail completed this form to: Compensation Claim Power and Water Corporation GPO Box 3596 Darwin NT 0801
Important: Please include any documents/evidence to support your claim such as receipts, invoices, photos etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
We will confirm receipt of your claim within 10 business days and we will investigate your claim and provide a written assessment once a full investigation has been completed. If the claim is more complex we will explain the reason for the delay, advise you of a new timeframe and keep you informed of the progress.
Please include any documents (where possible) to support your claim, such as receipts for repairs, valuations or quotes for replacement of property that is substantially the same age, functionality and appearance or any photo evidence.
Power and Water Corporation is liable for losses due to supply abnormalities or failures only when caused by our negligence or bad faith. If you believe Power and Water is responsible for your loss, you may submit a claim that will be assessed to determine whether you are entitled to compensation.
We will help customers meet the fair and reasonable costs associated with repairs, loss or damage resulting from:
- Negligent or incorrect action by Power and Water.
- Failure or inappropriate operation of Power and Water equipment
- The reasonable cost of repair of an item to a condition substantially the same but not better than the item’s condition immediately before the damage, taking consideration of age, condition and useful life.
- The reasonable cost of replacing an item with another item of a condition substantially the same but not better than the item’s condition immediately before the damage, taking consideration of age, condition and useful life
Important: We do not reimburse GST when compensating claimants who are able to lodge GST input tax credits as this is claimed from the Australian Tax Office.
We do not compensate customers for any loss or damage that occurs as a result of events or circumstances outside our control, including but not limited to:
- Impact by a falling tree or part of a tree.
- Interference by birds or animals.
- Motor vehicles colliding with our infrastructure.
- Lightning, storms, winds – borne debris.
- Events caused by pollution.
- Any third party interference to the electricity system.
- Power failure/interruption/surges and sags unless directly caused by Power and Water’s negligence or bad faith.
In the event any of the above circumstances occur, it is recommended that you contact your insurance company. If you have any queries relating to the consumption or photovoltaic (PV) feed-in tariff data on your electricity account, you should contact your electricity retailer in the first instance. If you have specific questions about the effects of a supply interruption on your solar PV system, please contact general enquiries on 1800 245 092.
- Maintain equipment required by laws, regulation and standards.
- When damage may occur, take all reasonable and appropriate action to advise Power and Water and any other action to minimise damage or loss.
- For sensitive equipment take appropriate and reasonable steps to provide suitable power protection.
Can I claim the Guaranteed Service Level (GSL) duration of interruption payment with this form?
No you do not need to lodge a claim. These payments are for inconvenience and are automatically paid to account holder(s) who experience excessively long interruptions to supply within three (3) months of the date of the interruption.
View here to find out more information about the Guaranteed Service Level (GSL).
Security information disclaimer
Power and Water Corporation may store your personal information in paper and electronic formats. Power and Water takes steps to ensure the security of all information provided by maintaining in a secure environment accessed only by authorised personnel. However, any data sent over the internet or stored on internet servers cannot be guaranteed to be fully secure. These activities are undertaken at your risk.