Power and Water provides apprenticeship and trainee opportunities when there are vacancies available. Traineeships are mostly in administrative categories and also in water operations.
How to become an apprentice or trainee
GTNT (Group Training Northern Territory) recruits Power and Water apprentices and trainees from Darwin, Katherine, Alice Springs and Tennant Creek.
Our apprenticeship and traineeship opportunities are advertised by GTNT in the careers section of NT News and regional newspapers. Keep an eye out in the paper or contact GTNT on (08) 89800 600.
Applications have closed for positions starting in January 2024.
People who train to become an electrician:
- find electrical malfunctions
- install electrical control systems
- connect switches
- work with circuit breakers.
You need to have good hand-eye coordination, be practical and able to do detailed work. You’ll also have to work as part of a team, be physically fit, enjoy maths and have good communication skills.
People who train to become a mechanic:
- test and maintain diesel and gas powered equipment
- detect mechanical and electrical faults
- weld, machine and hand-fit repairs.
You need to enjoy practical and hands-on work, be good at maths and physically fit.
People who train to become lineworkers:
- install and maintain power poles, streetlights, transformers and circuit breakers
- trim tree branches clear of powerlines
- adjust the tension of cables and perform emergency repairs such as isolating live wires.
You need to enjoy working outdoors and using your hands. You must be able to work at heights. You also have to be physically fit, good at maths, able to work as part of a team and have good communication skills.
Water Operations trainees:
- assist with monitoring the operation of water purification equipment
- perform basic water quality tests
- operate and maintain minor plant and equipment.