While Power and Water is responsible for supplying water to the water meter, property owners are responsible for the cost of any water use registered on the water meter, as well as any water used or lost through the property's internal plumbing and on the customer side of the meter.

We do however, understand the frustration and inconvenience concealed leaks cause to property owners. This allowance aims to help alleviate some of the pressures caused by a concealed leak.

Before you begin

You may be eligible for a water leak allowance if the following applies.

The leak has been:

  • concealed or reasonably undetectable (underground or in a wall cavity)
  • repaired within six weeks of the detection or high water use notification issued
  • repaired or replaced with authorised materials.

Other conditions :

  • You must be a domestic customer - this includes residential property unit plans and residential body corporates.
  • Only one allowance is permitted in a five year period per property under the same ownership.
  • Allowances are based on the excess use above your normal average consumption and capped at 600KL.

What you need to complete this application:

  • Your Power and Water account details.
  • A current meter read.
  • Your water meter number.
  • Written details of repair work undertaken and materials used (this can include a plumbers invoice or plumbers report) or a receipt of materials used in the repair.

For a more detailed list on what is required and excluded please see below

I understand and wish to proceed

  • Wastage due to faulty or malfunctioning appliances or fittings that are not deemed as concealed, for example:
    • faulty toilet cisterns
    • hot water systems
    • swimming pools
    • rainwater tanks/pump and valves
    • fixtures (internal and external taps)
    • where the leak has not been repaired
    • a failing stopcock (meter tap)
    • irrigation systems
  • Evidence of negligence, including:
    • failure to renew pipe work which is in poor condition
    • leakage due to faulty workmanship or construction work
    • where the leakage is caused by vandalism
    • where the leak has not been repaired
  • Plumber's attendance and repair costs are not included in the Water Leak Allowance

If you have repaired the leak yourself, you are required to provide:

  • a report from licenced plumber confirming the leak has been repaired/there are no leaks OR
  • copy of receipt for materials used in repairs OR
  • supply in writing details of repair work undertaken and materials used, including type/class of pipe and fittings.