Trade waste is the liquid or liquid-borne waste generated from any industry, business, trade, manufacturing process or similar that is approved for discharge to sewer.

Power and Water accepts trade waste into the sewer if you hold a discharge approval. Your business must also follow the conditions of our consent and the Trade Waste Code.

Trade Waste Management System

The Trade Waste Management System (TWMS) provides a framework for the administration, acceptance and regulation of the disposal of trade waste to the Power and Water sewerage system.

Under the TWMS, a business that discharges trade waste to sewer will need to apply to Power and Water for a trade waste permit/agreement.

You can apply here for an approval to discharge to sewer  You’ll also use this form to apply for a variation to a current approval or to renew your licence.

Before filling out this form, consider:

  • how stormwater runoff will be managed
  • what types of contaminants exist on-site
  • what business processes and activities generate waste and how you can limit these
  • which kinds of proprietary products and chemicals will be used on site
  • if you need Material Safety Data Sheets
  • your discharge volumes and flow rates.

After we receive your application, we’ll contact you to talk about the best pre-treatment equipment for your business.

Power and Water has employed the use of QR reader technology to ensure all customers have ready access to the servicing information related to their trade waste license. QR reader technology will make it easier to ensure compliance to the Trade Waste Code and help to avoid potential issues that can adversely impact businesses and the environment. See more information here.

Where a business has a complex or non-standard waste stream, one of our Trade Waste Officers must assess your site. They will decide if the waste stream is acceptable for discharge and identify the type of pre-treatment equipment you need.

The success of your application may rely on the installation of pre-treatment equipment. View a list of pre-treatment equipment various industries use to meet our requirements.

Before you buy or install a device, please contact our Trade Waste Department to make sure we’ve approved your plumbing plans

Trade waste pre-treatment equipment guide

A licensed Northern Territory plumber must install a grease trap or grease reduction device in accordance with Australian Standard 3500.

Any businesses unable to install an in-ground grease trap must provide a report by a hydraulic consultant confirming they can't fit a minimum 1000 litre grease trap.

Any pump systems related to above ground grease traps need written pre- approval by Power and Water and Environmental Health before installation.

Only products listed in this guide are permitted in the Northern Territory.

Approval of grease arrestors and grease reduction devices

If you have a food preparation business, it is likely you may produce a significant amount of greasy waste. Greasy waste is any liquid waste a commercial business produces from cooking and cleaning which they discharge to the sewer.

You can find out more about managing this type of trade waste here.

Managing greasy waste in the retail food industry

The automotive/engineering industry has the capacity to discharge large quantities of harmful substances into the sewerage system.

These substances may include lubricating oil, engine additives, rust inhibitors and paint. These may be harmful to our people and severely inhibit treatment plant processes.

Power and Water prohibits these products from entering the sewerage system to ensure staff safety and effective treatment plant operations to ensure compliant discharge to environment.

Managing trade waste in the automotive and engineering industries

PDF copy