Complaints and disputes resolution

At Power and Water we are committed to providing our customers with quality electricity, water and sewerage services, while providing you with a great customer experience.  We understand we may not always get it right and when that happens we want to hear from you.

Your feedback helps us to improve our services by identifying how we can do things better.

Electricity bill disputes

If you are located in the Darwin region, Katherine, Tennant Creek or Alice Springs your power bill will come from your chosen electricity retailer.

For any disputes relating to your power bill, or where your desired outcome is an amendment to your power bill, please contact your retailer directly.

Registered electricity retailers in the Northern Territory

Our commitment to you

We respect your right to raise a complaint, as outlined in our Customer Contract. If you wish to make a complaint you can take comfort in knowing:

  • we will investigate the complaint, doing all we can to resolve the problem and report back to you promptly and courteously
  • we respect your right to make a complaint, and you will not be unfavourably treated by voicing your complaint
  • our staff are trained to resolve your complaint in an efficient and professional way.

What we need from you

In order for us to investigate your complaint, we ask that you:

  • Clearly identify the issues of your complaint and provide any relevant supporting information, documents or evidence.
  • Let us know what kind of outcome you are hoping to receive.
  • Keep us up to date with any changes in your circumstances or if new information comes to light.
  • Treat our team members with courtesy and respect.

How complaints are handled

On receipt of a complaint, we will:

  • handle your complaint in a professional, efficient and fair manner, with empathy and respect.
  • acknowledge your complaint and provide you with a unique reference number within 2 business days.
  • provide you with updates through your preferred communication method on the status of your complaint as our investigations occur.
  • take necessary actions to resolve your complaint as soon as reasonably practical, with all endeavours made to finalise your complaint within 10 business days.
  • provide you with an outcome of your complaint, confirming agreed actions that have or will be taken to resolve the complaint, and the reasons for the final decision.

How to make a complaint, compliment or provide us with feedback

You can raise a concern, complaint, compliment or provide us with feedback through our online forms, email, post and over the phone.
Post Customer Assurance team
Power and Water
GPO Box 3596
Darwin NT 0801
Phone1800 245 092

What happens if you are not happy with the outcome of a complaint

If you are not happy with the initial outcome of your complaint, you may request that your matter is escalated for review.

Complaints will only be officially closed once you have either expressed satisfaction with the outcome of the investigation or when all reasonable steps have been taken to try to resolve the matter to both yours and Power and Water satisfaction.

If you are still not satisfied with the outcome of a complaint, you have the right to escalate your dispute to the Ombudsman NT . The Ombudsman NT are a free and independent external dispute resolution body.

You can escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman NT through any of the following methods.

OnlineOmbudsman NT online complaint
Post NT Ombudsman
GPO Box 1344
Darwin NT 0801
Free call1800 806 380*
* The 1800 number is free from land lines, not mobile phones.
Phone 08 8999 1818

Additional information

Report a fault

If you see a life-threatening or dangerous situation such as a powerline on the ground, call 000 or the Power and Water emergency line on 1800 245 090 immediately.

If you are experiencing an outage, go to our current outages and works page to check if our crews are already aware of the outage.

To report an unplanned power or water outage or damage to Power and Water property or infrastructure, complete our report a fault form.

Compensation for loss or damage

If you believe Power and Water is responsible for loss or damage to your property or possessions, you can submit a claim. Claims will be assessed to determine if you are entitled to compensation.

Complete our compensation claim form

Guaranteed Service Levels (GSL) review

Power and Water are committed to meeting the guaranteed service levels (GSL) set out in the Utilities Commission's Guaranteed Service Level (GSL) Code . In instances where these levels are not met, eligible customers will be entitled to a GSL payment which will be applied to the your account. If you believe you're eligible for a GSL payment but have not received a credit you can request a GSL review.

Complete our Request a Guaranteed Service Levels (GSL) review form

Interpreter services

Information on interpreter services for the Northern Territory Government.

Interpreter services website

Understanding your bill

Find out how to read our Power and Water bill in this step-by-step guide.

How to read your bill


We're committed to the protection of your personal information. We handle all personal information in accordance with the relevant privacy laws.

Our privacy policy