Customer Charter

Power and Water Corporation's customer charter provides you with important information about your rights, as well as your obligations as a customer.

There are three good reasons to have a Customer Charter:

  1. To set service standards.
  2. To let you know what you can expect.
  3. To serve you better.
For your convenience, a print friendly version of the information on this page is available for download.

Customer Charter

Customer Contract

The legal document, the Customer Contract, is an extended version of the Customer Charter.

Our service standards

Customer service

  • We will respond to written customer inquiries within five days.
  • Meter tests will be arranged within five days of your request.
  • Supply disconnection – We will provide five days written warning when disconnecting due to failure to pay accounts.
  • Special health needs - We will provide five days advance notice of any planned interruptions.

Key Customer Service Standards


  • We will re-connect electricity to existing supply properties within 24 hours in major urban centres (Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine, Tennant Creek, Alice Springs and Yulara).
  • We will give two days advance notice for planned interruptions via newspaper advertising or letterbox notice.*


  • We guarantee a minimum flow rate of 20 litres/minute.*
  • We will give you two days advance notice for planned interruptions via newspaper advertising or letterbox notice.*


  • We will attend to a sewer spill in your house within one hour of notice from plumber that the fault is due to Power and Water’s sewers.
  • We will attend within one hour of notice or advice of a spill occurring from a Power and Water sewer.
  • We will have 97.5% of cases restored within five hours when unplanned interruptions occur.*

Trade Waste requirements

  • Our sewerage systems are designed to accept, transport and treat normal domestic wastewater.
  • You must seek prior approval from Power and Water before discharging any other materials, such as trade waste, into our sewers.
  • We publish a Trade Waste Code, that sets out the requirements under which trade waste may be discharged. Copies of the Code are available from our Customer Service Centres.

* Service standard applies to major urban centres being Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine, Tennant Creek, Alice Springs and Yulara.


By requesting services from us you consent to us managing your personal information as outlined in our privacy policy on our internet site. You are able to request access, at any time, to view and update the personal information which we hold about you.

Give us feedback

If you think our service has not met our published standards then we need to know. Our Customer Service Officers will listen carefully and respond promptly to your feedback. When a Customer Service Officer can not provide an immediate answer to your inquiry they will call you back with more information as soon as possible. We value your feedback and will make every effort to address your concerns.

Your responsibilities

Access to your meter

Power and Water needs safe access to be able to read your meters.

  • You need to keep meter access free from obstruction such as locked gates, barriers, overgrown vegetation and dangerous animals.
  • If Power and Water is unable to gain access we may require you to remove the obstruction or have the meter relocated.

Payment of accounts

Power and Water is a business entity and is accountable to the Northern Territory Government for good business practice. It is your responsibility to ensure that accounts are paid within 21 days. To help you manage your accounts we have a large range of payment options.

Please notify us of changes to your account

  • Please let us know if you are moving. We need the details of your new postal address and can arrange to move your account within two business days.
  • We also need to know if there is a change in responsibility for payment of the account.
  • Finally, if the purpose for which your premises is used change significantly or there is a major change in the level of activity then you need to let as know as soon as possible.

All these changes can be easily made with a phone call, Freecall 1800 245 092.