About our business

Power and Water became the Northern Territory’s first government owned corporation under the Government Owned Corporations Act on 1 July 2002.

The Corporation was responsible for electricity generation, power networks and retail services, provided water and sewerage services across the Northern Territory.

On 1 July 2014 the electricity generation part and the electricity retail part of Power and Water were separated to form two new government-owned corporations, Territory Generation and Jacana Energy.

Power and Water provides:

  • Electricity network services, regulated by the Utilities Commission.
  • Water and sewerage services, regulated with one licensed provider.
  • Electricity, water and sewerage services for remote communities through Indigenous Essential Services Pty Ltd.

Territory Generation generates electricity to supply Jacana Energy and any other retailer that might enter the market.

Jacana Energy manages electricity customers - looking after accounts, customer needs, bills and payment. 

For more information about this change, read about the structural separation of Power and Water.  

As a government-owned corporation, Power and Water is mandated to operate at least as efficiently as any comparable business and to maximise the sustainable return to the Territory on its investment in the Corporation.

We follow government policy in the areas of fleet management, procurement and employment under the Public Sector Employment and Management Act.

We are a key partner in whole of government critical infrastructure protection and resilience programs and are members of the national advisory Energy Sector Group and Water Services Sector Group. We also have an integral role in the Northern Territory's counter disaster and all hazards emergency management arrangements.

We support the provision of electricity, water and sewerage services in remote Territory communities through our wholly owned subsidiary not for profit business Indigenous Essential Services Pty Ltd (IES). Services are provided under a ‘fee for service’ agreement with the Department of Community Services.