The National Privacy Principles (NPPs) regulate the way Power and Water can collect, use, manage and disclose your personal information. The NPPs give you the right to request what information we hold about you and we must take reasonable steps to correct it if it is incorrect. The NPPs are a part of the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2001. They can be viewed at www.privacy.gov.au
Power and Water is committed to providing fair and responsible handling of personal and corporate information. Information that you provide to us will always be treated in a way that is in accordance with the NPPs.
Use and disclosure of personal information collected by Power and Water
Customer information is collected, stored and used by Power and Water for the provision of water, sewerage and power services. To provide the goods and services that you require, Power and Water assumes that you consent for us to use and disclose your personal information for purposes such as;
- informing you of new products and initiatives;
- development of new products and services;
- providing you with the services you have requested;
- to advise you of community service information and special offers; and
- to allow us to communicate with you effectively.
If you do not wish for us to use your personal information for any or all of these services, then please contact us on 1800 245 091 or e-mail email@example.com.
In other instances, Power and Water will endeavour to obtain your consent before your information is disclosed to third parties. Where your consent has not been obtained or in certain circumstances, information may still be disclosed to third parties if;
- you provide consent for the release of the information;
- we can reduce a serious or immediate threat to life or health; or
- we need to recover monies which you owe to us; for example we may provide information about you to a credit reference agency if you fail to pay your account.
When you visit our website or send us an e-mail
When you visit our web-site, our Internet Service Provider will make a record of your visit and log the following information:
- your server address;
- your top level domain name;
- the date and timing of the visit to the site;
- the pages you have accessed and documents down-loaded;
- the previous site you have visited; and
- the type of browser you are using.
The above information is collected for statistical purposes only and Power and Water will not make an attempt to identify users or their browsing activities.
We will record your e-mail address only if you send us a message. We assume that we are able to use your e-mail address for the purposes outlined in the "Use and Disclosure of Personal Information by Power and Water" section of this policy located above. If you do not wish for us to use your information in the manner outlined in the section "Use and Disclosure of Personal Information by Power and Water" then please contact us on 1800 245 091 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can you access your information?
You are able to request access to the personal customer or applicant information that we hold about you at any time. You are also able to provide updated information.
Retail staff can fulfil a verbal request to provide a customer with information that is held about them. Written requests should be directed to the Retail Customer Service Manager at an address contained at the end of this policy.
Requests for access to information can be processed once the following information has been provided:
- your Power and Water customer identification (from your bill) and or drivers licence number;
- your name, address, date of birth and business hours telephone number;
- details of your information request; and
- date of your request.
You should receive a response within 3 days.
Security of information
Power and Water maintains procedures and standards and takes all reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access to and modification or disclosure of your personal information. Power and Water will also take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse and loss.
Changes to this policy